Sunday, December 12, 2010

Music Sunday - The Cribs!!!!!


This post is long overdue. I have loved this band since before my little munchkin was born. The first time I saw them was at Manhattan's legendary Webster Hall. Marty one of my hubby's close friends from college was working at the club at the time and he got us in to see a show that headlined the Kaiser Chiefs and had The Cribs and the Red Walls as opening acts. It was an instant click for me with The Cribs. What I loved about them was their incredible energy and irreverent attitude. They were by no means the greatest musicians I had ever seen, but they brought a great energy to the stage and that was all it took for me to take them in as one of my favorite bands. Since then the hubby and I have seen them twice at Mercury Lounge and at Coney Island and every time was great. The hubby and I actually got to sit and have a bite with them at a park after their Conney Island appearance and they were an absolute delight to talk with. I wish them every success in the world because they are just great guys.

The band members are the Jarman brothers, twins Gary (bass) and Ryan (guitar), younger brother Ross (drums) from Wakefield, West Yorkshire, and most recently (since 2008) Mr Johnny Marr (of Smiths and Modest Mouse fame). I will admit that I am not so keen on how they sound now under Johnny Marr's tutelage, but these boys still hold a very dear place in my heart.

My Favorite song of theirs is Our Bovine Public because it is the epitome of that irreverent spirit that got me to like them so much.

If you would like to learn more about them Wikipedia has a very complete page on them noting their origins and discography. If you want more current information on where the boys will appear next go to their official website. I hope you get to like them as much as I do.

Image: musosguide.com

No comments: