Saturday, January 21, 2023

The Argentinian Adventure

 One of the main reasons I started writing this blog was to keep in touch with, and share experiences of living in the Middle East with my family (and my ex's as well), because they were worried about us going to live so far away. However, it was also about celebrating being adventurous and enjoying this beautiful planet we live in. To that point, I want to share the most recent adventure I got to take part in, with my most favorite people in the world, my mom and my daughter. 

During the end of year holidays, my daughter and I had the privilege of going to Argentina, to spend Christmas and bring in 2023 with my mom and her husband. One of the things we got to do was to visit Calafate, which is way south almost to the tip of South America. The reason this area is so special is because it holds a national park that is home to some 40 something glaciers. 

On our trip we got to take a boat tour around Lake Argentina which allowed us to view glaciers from both far and near. The ones we had to view from afar were shrinking, and were considered unstable because they were no longer in contact with the bedrock of the lake. An effect of global warming. We also got to get up close to one of the most famous glaciers in the park called Perito Moreno in honor of the scientist who discovered it. My daughter and I also had the distinct privilege of getting to hike on this glacier. 

To say that this was an incredible experience, would not do justice to what we saw and felt. To be in the presence of these massive forms and learn of their formation and constant motion, even if unperceived by the naked eye, is humbling. In the scope of the length of time they have been part of this world, in comparison to how long we have been around, you realize that we owe it to our planet to do better to conserve resources and help preserve all the places that are just as incredible as the Calafate is. 

Ok enough of my narrative. Here are some pictures which are not too bad, but that really don't do justice to what being there in person is like. This is something that if you have a chance, you should definitely go do.



















No comments: