Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Eco-friendly Odor Protection - The Trials

 I know it has been a while since my last post. I have no excuse to offer. Life has been interesting and I dedicated my energy to other endeavors, but I always come back here. 

One of the things I had been focusing on was trying to reduce the amount of plastic I bring into my home. I did actually start testing products, and as you might have guessed, yep deodorants were among those products. I tried three different brands and am happy to say I did actually wind up finding one that I am staying with, but first let me fill you in on my research. 

The first deodorant I tried was Bite's Neroli scented bar. It boasts being plastic free, including the refill, and packaging it is sent in. They did deliver on that aspect, but after two weeks of using it i started developing irritation, and unfortunately my love affair with this one was very short lived. I had to go back to Suave for the time being, but I was not about to give up yet. 

The second bar I tried was a brand called Hey Humans. I found it by chance at my local Walgreens. It was resting there on the shelves, all cardboard clad and beautiful, beconing to me from among all its plastic dressed counterparts. I of course happily bought it and was super excited because its Rosewater Ginger scent was beautiful. Unfortunately this one was another short lived affair. I developed the same irritation as with Bite's offering.


I was feeling pretty crest fallen. Was I doomed to keep having to rely on mainstream deodorant brands and their plastic packaging? I could not find anything until one fine day I saw an add for Native. I was a bit skeptical at first, but I also was holding on to hope that maybe, just maybe, this time it would work out. Two weeks went by without any irritation developing, then weeks 3 and 4 went by and I knew I had a keeper. Now my daughter and I have our new favorite deodorant, and the best part is that it is plastic free. They offer five different scents but the ones in the picture below are our favorites. If you too are looking to start your journey into reducing the plastic intake in your life, this is definitely one thing I can recommend. For my next endeavor, I will review some plastic free toothpaste options. Stay tuned.



No comments: