Wednesday, March 25, 2015

MoMA NYC - Bjork Songlines Exhibit

I have been fortunate enough to be able to go to this exhibit and I do not say this lightly. I have always liked Björk's music but until now I had not realized just why that was. To me there was something about the melodies that always was very appealing and almost entrancing. When I went to this I went with the expectation of finding something outrageous an unusual which is what has always distinguished Björk from other artists to me. What I found was something far deeper and more soulful than I had ever experienced in my life. It was something which literally brought me to tears.  


The way the museum set up the exhibit was well thought out and matched well with the audio tour gadget which geo-locates where you are within the path of the exhibit and plays music and descriptive audio as you travel through Björk's discography. The path's walls are lined with little glass boxes containing notebooks with her handwritten lyrics and pictures. There are also life size mannequins wearing the many costumes that Björk has worn through her extensive career. 

Once you finish this part of the tour you can then proceed downstairs where they have a movie theater set up with something like 49 speakers which play different parts of the melody of her new single, Black Lake. Being a woman who is going through divorce I felt incredibly touched by the lyrics. Next to it is a theater where you can watch every music video Björk has made. I came out renewed and inspired. I definitely recommend this exhibit to anyone who appreciates her music, and is visiting New York in the coming months. 







No comments: