Sunday, January 9, 2011

Music Sunday - The XX

Image by Sebastian Kim for Interviewmagazine.com

This is another band I have to thank BBC 6 music for introducing me to. They are a band from London, England, who are probably one of the youngest ever to win the Mercury Prize (a very coveted award in British music) . The band is made up of three members; Romy Madley Croft, Oliver Sim, Jamie Smith. Originally they were a four piece ensemble but their second guitarist Baria Qureshi left them in 2009, before they won the Mercury prize.

I think that because they are relatively new and because they are also so young, their sound tends to be a bit rawer and you can see that there is still room for improvement, specially in the vocal department. Still there is a greatness in that because you get a very gritty but unique sound, especially in this day in age when so many artists tend to sound like cookie cutter versions of other bands.

I would like to share the song that peaked my interest in them. It is called Crystalised and the best way I can describe it is wild west meets electronica. I hope you enjoy it, and if you would like to hear more of them check out YouTube, or got to their official website.

No comments: