Monday, May 10, 2010

A little thought about Mother's day

I was thinking about how sometimes the little things can go such a long way when it comes to commemorating certain occasions. Until I became a mom this day was all about doing something nice for my own mom, because I knew that she deserved to be pampered and fussed over. What is funny though is that the meaning of this changed as I grew older and as I started earning my own money.

When I was a little girl the best part about Mother's Day was getting ready for it. My half sister would always come over the day before and get my sister CC, my brother and I to make our own cards for mom. The next morning we would wake up really early and go to our garden and cut some of our beautiful roses so we could put them in a vase that would go on mom's breakfast tray. Then each of us would make something for her breakfast like toast or scrambled eggs and coffee. Then we would bring mom breakfast to her bed. As I grew older this changed and I don't know at what point or why. Home made gifts were replaced with store bought creams and beauty treatments. I was reminded of the home made stuff by my mom who has saved every card that we made for her from that period of time. There was something in the way she handled those cards that let me know that to her these were precious little treasures.

I was thinking that sometimes people get a little crazy around these holidays. I am just as guilty as the next guy/gal. My husband is particularly crazy about stuff like this. Every year he waits until the last minute and winds up spending money on stuff that seems a bit frivolous. I have said it to him time and time again that these days, to me a flower and a home made card go a longer way than any gift bought on a last minute dash to the mall. This year I got my first home made mother's day card from my little munchkin and I know exactly how my mom felt when we did it for her. I love it.

No comments: